So I’ve already talked about how much time I spend in my truck – but as I’m moving to a city where I won’t be driving (NYC, duh), I decided two weeks ago that I need one thing and one thing only: a backpack. I think a backpack is the healthiest way for me to transport the unreasonable amount of things I find myself carrying on a day-to-day basis.
First of all let me just tell you how awesome my backpack is. Not that I’m a snob, but it’s no middle school forest green Jansport backpack… It is high quality badass-ness. It’s the Run From Work Backback from lululemon and it is the perfect small size and has adjustable straps and can even be a camel back (water holding device!) and has so, so many pockets… it is awesome sauce as far as backpacks go.
So as I was digging through it looking for my gum (see item 11) it occurred to me: What are other people wandering around with? What kind of strange treats and surprises do other people keep in their bags? And yes, this could be a post about life’s baggage and emotional stuff and how to unpack that shit – but no, it’s not. Not today. I think the best way to get to know someone is to find out what they carry with them – actually carry with them – on a day-to-day basis. And as I love all my readers and want you guys to know as much about me as possible (even if that’s not always what you’re interested in) I decided this post I would dissect my awesome sauce backpack.
What’s In My Backpack?
- Deodorant: I’m not one of those yogis that rubs salt under my armpits and calls it a day. I wear dove cool essentials it is the cucumber and green tea sent (moment of truth I actually had no idea that was the scent I was wearing – so that’s weird).
- The coolest (classiest) wallet ever: As I’m a yoga instructor my sister likes to send me things she thinks I need. One of those things happens to be my favorite thing in my backpack. My wallet. As my sister is BOMB and works at Kate Spade she sends me classy things that I otherwise couldn’t afford. And the reason that this is my favorite thing in my backpack is not only because I get so many flattering compliments on it, but also because my sister worked her ASS off to get to where she is. And the only reason I brag about her to everyone I know is that she really deserves every ounce of success she’s ever had and I’m insanely proud of her. My beautiful wallet reminds me of how cool she is every time I need to pay for gas or buy lunch or accidentally buy a backpack. Thanks, Bren – you are a constant reminder that being true to yourself pays off!
- Atlas Shrugged: The delightful 1,168-page novel written by the very wordy (very good) novelist Ayn Rand. Let’s just say it’s a summer goal of mine to finish it. I’m on page 42.
- A pickle card: No this isn’t some weird yogi thing, it’s a Hallmark card I bought for whoever I know who has a birthday coming up because it is hysterical. It’s just a cut out pickle that opens up to say “Bet you didn’t expect to get a paper pickle for your birthday.” I bought it with my friend Christiana (who btw is the funniest person on earth), and couldn’t help myself. Who wouldn’t find that worthy of peeing ones pants?
- A moleskin notebook: Because I’m a writer and therefore want the same notebook as Hemingway. I know that having the same notebook as him won’t make me as great a writer as him per say, but hey, can’t hurt. Though, to be honest, I use it for meeting notes, not my next novel… I keep the notes for my first published masterpiece pinned to my bedroom wall on colorful sticky notes (but that’s a different post altogether).
- A pen: What the heck is the use of a notebook without a pen?
- Clean & Clear makeup dissolving facial cleansing wipes: So that when I workout or teach and sweat at least 3 times a day I can freshen up my face! Again, I don’t use a strange mixture of salt and butter to care for my personal hygiene. It’s not my style, but I am no longer weirded out by people who do such things. I guess that means I’m officially a yogi.
- A change of clothes and/or dirty clothes: Depending on where I’m at in my day. I almost always need at least a clean shirt for the same reason I need facial cleansing wipes. I’m a fitness professional – gotta keep it fresh!
- Change: I can never be bothered to use the zippers on my wallet so as a result I just throw a lot of coins into my backpack all helter-skelter. You don’t want to be behind me at a tollbooth – it’s always a panic situation.
- Giant pink sunglasses: I have a philosophy on sunglasses – I only buy them if they cost $10-$14. Otherwise I will sit on them and there goes what, $400! Do you know how many pairs of lululemon Wunder Unders I could buy with that? No thanks!
- The aforementioned gum: To have minty fresh breath after coffee!
- Tampons: Because I am female.
- Advil: To go with the tampons…
- Chapstick: Burt’s Bees to be specific!
- Cellphone: Duh… because all my playlists are on there!
- Keys: So I can get into my truck, work and home!
It is possible that you didn’t care at all about what was in my backpack – and that’s ok, though I can’t imagine why you would still be reading. But maybe you feel like you know me a little better now. I am a yoga instructor who likes to clean my face, loves my successful sister and doesn’t care too much for expensive sunglasses. It seems like superficial material stuff, but at the end of the day aren’t we all just an accumulation of interesting facts & habits and maybe even strange things that we keep in our backpacks?
Stay tuned for more insightful posts – haha (that was a little sarcasm for you).